Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#725) Order of end/new-turn activities

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#725) Order of end/new-turn activities
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 02:39:37 -0700

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:59:04PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> Update: we want to reorder the end-of-turn activities to be "correct".
>
> Raimar wanted a formal definition of the order of end-turn activities
> before we start changing code.  This is probably a good idea.  We've
> already gotten a start on it earlier in the ticket.  This is something a
> knowledgable freeciv player could help with.

I've tried to search the activities at the end/begin of a turn.

I have no idea how to visualize the problem.

Here is a rough categorisation of the items

unit actions
   pillage
   worker actions
   moves (new turn)

units
   HP (heal, or heli loss)
   MP
   fuel
   upkeep
   obsoletion
   upgrade (leonardo)
   trireme loss
   reset (paradrop, airmove, ...)

cities
   production
   grain
   scrolls (techbulbs)
   cash
   corruption
   growth
   fallout (nuclear plant ??)
   pollution
   reset (sell, buy)
   reset (production change)

technology
   scrolls (techbulbs)
   obsoletion (units fx phalanx -> musketeer)
   obsoletion (wonders)

cash
   change in cash
   sell of buildings
   upkeep

government
   unhappyness
   new government

spaceship
   new components
   arrival

savegame

ai-moves
   moves
   city management
   new barbarian units

other
   gameover
   inform client
   remove turn done
   dead check
   dipl-info (pull)
   calculate demographics
   timeout
   change year
   send info to player

Before we change the order of items we have to say which are dependent
to other itmes.

Here is an incomplete list of dependencies:

pillage, pollution
  production in shields
  trade
  grain

worker action
  production in shields
  trade
  grain

upkeep
  cash

buildings
  production in shields
  grain
  cash
  corruption
  growth
  pollution

production in shields
  buildings
  wonders

obsoletion
  buildings

technology
  obsoletion of wonders
  leonardo
  MP (nuclear)

After all dependencies are addressed the next step is to order the
items.
a) during the last round (production, shieldoutput ...)
b) short before the end of the round (citygrowth, new units ...)
c) at the end of the round (gameover-check ... )
d) begin of the next round (reset of MP ...)
e) after that (moves in the new turn)

After that step is done we can discuss about ordering the items in the
same group with dependencies between.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.