Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8606) Some adjustments for buildings.ruleset

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8606) Some adjustments for buildings.ruleset
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:05:23 -0700

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:30:43AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > Patch #1: Reduce all building costs by approx. 30% (not including wonders
> > and space items). Also reduce upkeep on marketplace, bank and stock
> > exchange by one. This to make it more attractive to build city
> > improvements.
> >
> > Patch #2: Make some single-city, quickly-obsoleted and/or rarely built
> > wonders much cheaper. Colossus 200 -> 100. Copernicus 300 -> 200. Newton
> > 400 -> 300. Richard 300 -> 150. Oracle 300 -> 100. Shakespeare 300 -> 200.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> In Freeciv currently, the game advances much faster than "real life".
> Under this patch that will be even more true.  I think rather than
> decreasing the building costs it might be better to increase unit costs
> (the two aren't exactly the same, though).  I'm also in favor of having
> units require specific buildings to be built.
>
> I do agree that the worthless wonders should cost less.  Or perhaps the
> really good wonders should cost more...

It is really hard balance the building costs, the best way is to compute
how big is the gain from it for a special way to play the game.

Colossus only helps until flight, it was an early wonder (BC), it helps only
for 1 city.

100 shields equals 400 gold, with a size 8 city you get 8 additional
trade. Without additional buildings you need 50 rounds to get back the
investment.

Think it is ok to reduce the cost for the Colossus.

Copernicus and Newtown help until the end of the world. But only for
tech. Think for size 8 cities it is better to use the produciton to
build traderoutes instead of the wonder. Perhaps for bigger cities the
gain is positive.

Shakespeare Theatre reduces the unhappines from the people, you need ~1
entertainer for 3 people + you don't need temple, colosseum, cathedral
(40+100+120) = 260 think making it cheaper than 300 isn't a good idea.

Richards has a to short time with use, think changing the obsolete by to
a later tech would be a better idea.

In general i think we should try to make the cities bigger and less
dense (increasing settlercost with every build city) and bigger
city-radius then more onecity-wonders would be built.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.