Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8457) No assertion in post_receive_packet_player_a

To: matusik_s@xxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8457) No assertion in post_receive_packet_player_attribute_chunk() !!!
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 04:05:36 -0700

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 06:44:48AM -0700, mateusz stefek wrote:

> I saw this strange message in _server_ window yesterday:
> The server you tried to connect is too old (1.12.0 or earlier). Please choose
> another server next time. Good bye.
>
> I don't know why it happened, probably bug in delta, but it revealed that the
> client can crush the server by sending
> corrupted PACKET_PLAYER_ATTRIBUTE_CHUNK  (this packet normally should go from
> the server to the client).
>
> I can't reproduce it.
> I entered command "endgame" in the server, there were two clients connected.

It is quite possible that there is some way for a client to crash a
server. I don't think this is a big enough in practice to do a full
solution (audit all input paths, write a random data generator,...).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying