Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8457) No assertion in post_receive_packet_player_a

To: matusik_s@xxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8457) No assertion in post_receive_packet_player_attribute_chunk() !!!
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:12:46 -0700

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 11:56:35AM -0700, imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 2004-04-06 you wrote:
>
> > The pre-delta code checked partly for incorrect array sizes given. The
> > delta code didn't do this at all. The attached patch fixed this. I'm
> > not sure about the way to react if such a case is found. Feel free to
> > change.
>
> IMO bad/evil packets should be dropped, optionally with a log message.
> Killing the servers will lead to DoS attacks.

The problem is that in lower level you have to really examine the
packet to see if it bad. So we choose to cheat here and just
truncate/drop the parts of the packet which we don't like.

This could be changed but this would increase the size of packet_gen.c
by 30-50% and people will not be happy.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I heard if you play the NT-4.0-CD backwards, you get a satanic message."