Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8457) No assertion in post_receive_packet_player_a

To: matusik_s@xxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8457) No assertion in post_receive_packet_player_attribute_chunk() !!!
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:51:25 -0700

Such SOPs would presumably be obvious candidates for fixing.

Unfortunately, there has been a misplaced developer-centric philosopy over
the last few years that says crashing servers to get stack traces is far
more important than things like security, user-friendlieness,
failsafe/robust coding practices, saving game state or informative error
logging on crash ...

The current code tends to run wide-open to catch problems from all the
implicit rules and constraints, as opposed to in subsystems with boundary
checks. The original Freeciv subsystem flavour of 3 years ago is largely
gone now :-(.

Cheers,
RossW
=====