Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war

To: Jordi Negrevernis i Font <jorneg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:16:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Jordi Negrevernis i Font wrote:
>   I'm in alliance - without teams. And i want to declare war against
> an ally and i don't want the other allies to go against me in a war.
>
>   I break the alliance agreement with the choosen one. Then, in peace
> withthat former ally, I bribe a city and more as needed, until the
> civiliation declare war on me. So, the alliance declares war against the
> one to attacks.
>
>   So, the attacked civilization is taken out of the alliance and
> declared in war. This is not fear.
>
>   There is a way to detect this? Maybe with 'reason to cancel' variable?

So if reason_to_cancel is > 0 then just break alliance, and don't drop
directly into war mode. Design board?

>   And another... Why if an ally declares war with another ally, you
> must declare war on the agressor? In the NATO, If greece declare war on
> Turquey, the alliance does nothing.

In freeciv terms, "doing nothing" is not an option. We have decided
ally-ally-war relationships are not possible, for a host of technical
reasons. We might, of course, just drop the alliance and go to peace, but
I like it the way it is now. Anyone else have opinions on this?

  - Per