Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:04:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Genevieve Gracian wrote:
> > > I break the alliance agreement with the choosen one. Then, in peace
> > > withthat former ally, I bribe a city and more as needed, until the
> > > civiliation declare war on me. So, the alliance declares war against the
> > > one to attacks.
>
> I shouldn't be able to break alliance agreement with one and stay allied
> with the other. Perhaps, breaking alliance should be considered as an
> 'aggression', so the 3rd player should be 'brought into peace' with me
> and stay allied with my victim.

We keep stumbling into these kind of problems. The root cause is that
alliances are relationships between two players. So we should change
this. Here is my proposal:
  - The 'alliance' treaty is removed.
  - In the player dialog, two new options: Create Alliance, Remove from
    player from Alliance. You can always remove yourself, but only others
    if you are the alliance leader. You can only create an alliance if you
    are not a member of one already.
  - Whoever creates an alliance becomes its leader. If the alliance leader
    dies or leaves, the alliance member with highest score becomes leader.
  - An alliance is a kind of team, although it does not have the special
    properties of a team. It has a name and is shown in the player dialog
    in the 'Team' column.
  - Each player may be member of one alliance _or_ one team.
  - Only the alliance leader may declare war or negotiate an end to war.
    War may not be declared against a member of your alliance. If the
    alliance leader removes a player from the alliance, all other alliance
    members are in a peace treaty with this player.
  - You must ask the alliance leader (in diplodlg) to join an alliance.
  - No player can join an alliance after it has 50% or more of the living
    players in the game as members, or its members have 50% or more of
    the game's total score.

What do you think?

  - Per