Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:20:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Genevieve Gracian wrote:
> I'd add that having first contact with a player of an alliance makes
> having 1st contact with the leader of the alliance

This would solve the problems Thomas pointed out, yes.

> Also there should be a possibility to dissolve an alliance if there is
> only one player on it (the player removes himself from the alliance to
> dissolve it) so that he can join another alliance.

Yes.

> I don't like that an alliance leader is omnipotent. Before he declares
> war or accept somebody into the alliance he should have at least XX% of
> the players in the alliance ok (a vote).

We will need good GUI controls to handle voting in the client before we
can put such stuff to voting. I am quite hesistant to do that.

(I don't know how to display voting choices in the client GUI. Any ideas
anyone? Not that I'm likely to implement it myself - doing non-trivial
GUI changes across all clients is a real pain in the behind.)

So to begin with, no voting, I'm afraid.

> I think that a team should have the ability to join an alliance as well.
> In games with lots of teams, why disallow constitution of alliances
> between teams? Probably a team leader can create an alliance (if he has
> a XX% team mates ok) and another team leader can join the new alliance
> (with the XX% pre requisite too). After what players in both teams are
> allied and the alliance name replaces the team name on player dialog.

Complicated. I don't know any other games that allow you to change preset
teams in-game, and I really don't see much use for it. To the contrary,
being allowed to do so opens up for the kinds of backstabbing that I
wanted to get away from with teams.

For now, I want to use the existing teams code to handle the new
alliances, which means you can't mix alliances and teams.

  - Per