Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alliances & war
From: Genevieve Gracian <ggracian@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:05:15 +0100

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:04:14 +0000 (GMT)
"Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I shouldn't be able to break alliance agreement with one and stay allied
> > with the other. Perhaps, breaking alliance should be considered as an
> > 'aggression', so the 3rd player should be 'brought into peace' with me
> > and stay allied with my victim.
>
> We keep stumbling into these kind of problems. The root cause is that
> alliances are relationships between two players. So we should change
> this. Here is my proposal:
>   - The 'alliance' treaty is removed.
>   - In the player dialog, two new options: Create Alliance, Remove from
>     player from Alliance. You can always remove yourself, but only others
>     if you are the alliance leader. You can only create an alliance if you
>     are not a member of one already.
>   - Whoever creates an alliance becomes its leader. If the alliance leader
>     dies or leaves, the alliance member with highest score becomes leader.
>   - An alliance is a kind of team, although it does not have the special
>     properties of a team. It has a name and is shown in the player dialog
>     in the 'Team' column.
>   - Each player may be member of one alliance _or_ one team.
>   - Only the alliance leader may declare war or negotiate an end to war.
>     War may not be declared against a member of your alliance. If the
>     alliance leader removes a player from the alliance, all other alliance
>     members are in a peace treaty with this player.
>   - You must ask the alliance leader (in diplodlg) to join an alliance.
>   - No player can join an alliance after it has 50% or more of the living
>     players in the game as members, or its members have 50% or more of
>     the game's total score.
>
> What do you think?

Quite a good idea.

I'd add that having first contact with a player of an alliance makes
having 1st contact with the leader of the alliance (and, why not, all
players?).

Also there should be a possibility to dissolve an alliance if there is
only one player on it (the player removes himself from the alliance to
dissolve it) so that he can join another alliance.

I don't like that an alliance leader is omnipotent. Before he declares
war or accept somebody into the alliance he should have at least XX% of
the players in the alliance ok (a vote).

I think that a team should have the ability to join an alliance as well.
In games with lots of teams, why disallow constitution of alliances
between teams? Probably a team leader can create an alliance (if he has
a XX% team mates ok) and another team leader can join the new alliance
(with the XX% pre requisite too). After what players in both teams are
allied and the alliance name replaces the team name on player dialog.

--
G. Gracian