Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7378) Vote command for server

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7378) Vote command for server
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:30:06 -0800

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Reinier Post wrote:
> Good to require that a full turn must pass.
> This makes it hard to cheat, unless a /vote 'set timeout 1'
> somehow slips through.

The minimum value for timeout is 40 seconds, I think.

> I think the syntax is complicated. Whence the single quotes?

That's the way Mike's option cutter function works. If it is a huge
bother, I can try to rewrite it to put everything that hasn't been used
yet into the last option...

> The vote numbers are unfriendly.("Motion 1836, discussed last Tuesday,
> all in favour please raise your hands.")/vote lists them,
> but I'd much prefer to just say
>
> /vote timeout 20

Gets difficult/bothersome with more complex commands.

> and something like (pick one)
>
> /no cut
> /dont cut
> /unvote cut
>
> to place a countervote.

That's too much inflation in the number of commands for my taste...

> I think changes should take effect on a majority vote.

Yes, Thomas has almost convinced me this is a better idea...

> I don't think the players who abstain from voting must be counted;
> that way /vote becomes useless when many players are around.

They don't need to be counted, but they can vote to pass the vote before
the full turn has gone by - if all players have voted the vote is resolved
immediately.

Note that the vote patch is a quick implementation. I didn't try to make
it very fancy. In the future, I think votes should be done in the client
using GUI anyway.

(One thing that I could look at, is automatically starting a vote for
commands that you try to use that you do not have the necessary
priviledges for. So if you did /endgame with info cmdlevel, then you
immediately kick off a vote. This way we also lose the '' problem.)

  - Per