Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Events

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Events
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Feb 2004 23:12:38 +1300

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 00:14, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:26:14PM +1300, banjo wrote:
> > If somebody is adding events to freeciv
> >
> > Could they make it so it handles...
> >     Civil war
> >     Techs being learnt
>
> What actions do you want to do here? Popping up a text message like
> "You had a civil war. This is bad....?". Or some game-play relevant
> like given the player a another tech if he researches Philosophy? Why
> does this have to be customizable by the ruleset?
>
>       Raimar

This is about abstracting rules from being hardcoded in the server to
being definable in rulesets.

Civil war is an Event that is triggered by losing your Capital,
the % chance is determined by type of Government, the result is
that a new player is created with some of your cities.

Learning a Tech (or being the first to learn a tech) is an Event
that scenario designers could use.

At present this is all hardcoded into the server game engine.
If this could be determined by the Events system & an Events
ruleset, then we will have a powerful

When i wrote interlocking extensive ruleset fragments for rndCiv i
became very aware of how more possibilities for rule interactions
greatly expanded the level of complexity a game can have.

Some Possible Examples...

 * Losing your Capital:

   - There are differing valid opinions as to what cities
     should be lost to Civil war, (rnd cities, far away cities,
     unhappy cities, overseas cities).

   - In a historical scenario, what is the desired behaviour.
     (Germany lost Berlin in WW2, Russia lost Moscow to Napoleon,
     Washington was burnt to the ground by the British in the US
     war of Independence).

   - The goal of a scenario may be to take an enemies Capitol.

   - Taking a Capitol may cause the enemy to surrender ( SMAC style ).

   - Taking the Capitol can stop a player from winning during a
     flight to Alpha Centauri, if people can define other winning
     conditions (Events rulesets would be needed here), then responding
     to a lost capitol would prolly need to be in Events.

 * Being the First to Learn a Tech:

   - Possible winning condition.

   - May allow that player only to build a specific building/unit.

 * Learning a Tech:

   - Useful for a Tutorial game.

I am not saying that events must handle these things, only that a
sufficiently generalizable Events system would be powerful and nice to
have, rndCiv would certainly explore it's possibilities.

--
banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>