[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Extended connect dialog (PR#977)

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Extended connect dialog (PR#977)
From: "imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:20:40 -0800

On 04-01-23 you wrote:

> Yes it is a reason but I doubt a good one. There are other ways to
> identify freeciv traffic (by port number of example).

Not a good solution, just look at the pubserver - it has like 20 open
freeciv ports, all of which could be used by something else. The same
goes for other games - for example Quake 3 servers commonly have 4-6
ports open, some very different and nonstandard. Having all of them
treated specially by a router is a no-no.

> Also these level 7 analyzers fail if you use encryption and maybe
> compression.

Yes. That's why...

> Nevertheless there is no issue since the first 2 packet
> will stay non-delta and the compression will also stay always on. What
> may be possible is that we sent a dummy uncompressed chunk of data
> like "Freeciv client-server protocol" before the actual communication
> starts.

...this idea is IMHO a very good one, easy to implement and won't hurt
anybody at all.

--
{ Marek Baczyński :: UIN 57114871 :: GG 161671 :: JID imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  }
{ http://www.vlo.ids.gda.pl/ | imbaczek at poczta fm | http://www.promode.org }