[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Do you want VS .NET 2003 support?

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Do you want VS .NET 2003 support?
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:00:06 +0100

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:47:27AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> From: Raimar Falke [mailto:i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:37:08PM -0800, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >
> > > Actual code changes were pretty trivial.  Added a few needed
> > > #ifdefs.  Reshuffled some functions so that libcivcommon would be a
> > > "base" library, and not ask for things actually declared or
> > > implemented in client or server.  I made is_server live in
> > > libcivcommon, changed the client version of send_unit_info to
> > > client_send_unit_info, and made a function pointer to dealloc_id.
> > > Really trivial things like that, no actual changes to code
> > > semantics.
> >
> > Please submit these changes.
>
> Ok, I will.  I'll need some time to get things proper though.  My
> priorities and pressures are shifting... I'll get to it within the next
> 2 weeks or so.  Probably some day when I don't want to work on "real
> stuff" and feel like, "Ok, what the hell, cough it up!"  :-)
>
> > What do you have to do to get VS .NET 2003? Paying money? Is there a
> > command-line version freely available?
>
> It costs money.  But, there are student versions available, and
> universities often have site licenses.

> Anyways... the main reason to use Visual Studio .NET 2003 is that in a
> town like Seattle, you're going to make far more money hawking that
> skillset than some other tool.  I don't know how important careerism is
> to you, but knowing the "trendy buzzword" technology is worth more
> money.

I thought that MDA (model driven architecture) is "hot". And better
than XP (extreme programming). And server-side Java stuff.

> I also think VS .NET 2003 is a way better development environment on
> Windows than Cygwin or MinGW are.

I think you are right here judging based on what I hear about MinGW
and the old version of the Visual Studio I saw.

You didn't answer the second question (Is there a command-line version
freely available?). I remember hearing about this one: no money and
some private-use-is-ok license. This together with some config
file/makefile (distributed) would solve some problems. People would be
able to compile it at home. People can make changes at
home. Maintainers can test it. I'm not sure if freeciv.org can
distribute a compiled binary here. And in case the user has better
stuff (like the full VS) at home I'm sure the user can import the
config file and continue from there.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx