[Freeciv-Dev] Do you want VS .NET 2003 support?

To: "freeciv-dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Do you want VS .NET 2003 support?
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:37:08 -0800

Does anybody care about VS .NET 2003 support?  I am juuuuuust shy of having completed it for 1.14.1 sources... but it has been a very boring project, and now I've got plenty of other financial pressures to contend with.  My motivation is flagging and I'm posting to get a boost.  Basically, what I need to know is:

- if I finish the VS .NET 2003 support, does someone else here want to become the champion / buildmaster for that?

It's not going to be me.  My goal is to Pythonize Freeciv and make a rather different game out of it, not work with the Freeciv project managers on stuff.  For those who haven't followed our earlier discussions, we have very different goals and there's no point in working together on anything.  That said, I decided as a first step I'd like to get rid of Cygwin / MinGW dependencies on Windows.  Figured I'd get that done first, and it would be "nice" (but not essential to my purposes) if it became an official part of Freeciv.

Currently, all my code compiles.  I added my own dirent, libpng, and zlib so that I can canonically control the build environment.  Also I wanted to link against MSVCRT71.dll, not the 6.0 crap that the official libpng and zlib distributions want to use.  dirent I ripped out of the MinGW distribution; there's really no need for all that Cygwin / MinGW stuff, very little of Freeciv actually relies on it.

Actual code changes were pretty trivial.  Added a few needed #ifdefs.  Reshuffled some functions so that libcivcommon would be a "base" library, and not ask for things actually declared or implemented in client or server.  I made is_server live in libcivcommon, changed the client version of send_unit_info to client_send_unit_info, and made a function pointer to dealloc_id.  Really trivial things like that, no actual changes to code semantics.

It doesn't yet run a proper game, because I've been having some problems with finding DLL symbols and I've gotten bored.  But I think it's probably just shy of being functional.  Could be just 1 day's more work.

If somebody cares, and you want to become the VS .NET 2003 build guy, I'll get on with this and finish up.  If nobody cares, i.e. you actually *prefer* all that Cygwin / MinGW crap, then this goes on the backburner.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every