[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Game Design: put up or shut up

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Game Design: put up or shut up
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:54:55 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I am, however, disappointed that you are squandering your talents IMO.
> I do think it's time to put up or shut up about major game design
> changes.  What's gonna change?

Another thing I would like to head towards is the standalone nature of
most games. Again this probably comes from a RPG background, where the
game has no specific "objective" other than actually playing. I would like
to eventually have universes in which these kinds of games are not
standalone so that the dont count you can just throw them away and start
over. Sure you can play such standalone versions for practice, but come
the real game what happens to your character or nation or planet or galaxy
or whatever will count somehow. For example if you start as one of several
civilisations on a Civ-type planet and your civilisation loses, then you
are no longer an whole civilisation and will have to be just a unit or
somesuch. Then if that unit gets destroyed you'll have to maybe revert to
being a sub-unit or an individual, some part of the original unit that
survived - or maybe that wasn't even at that battle, if there were no
survivors maybe you were off on sick leave when the unit went to battle
thus were not present and are actually back at home base still recovering
from the flu or some other excuse for why you did not die with your unit.

For many years I despaired of finding a way to make such never-ending
games "interesting" but from various fiction I have read I had one
potential solution in mind: money. In some stories, some characters
basically dont have lives, they live some game or other. If gaming could
be made profitable maybe it could support professional players. Then the
lure of maybe becoming a professional player might keep people playing.
Hey, it seems to work for sports, right? :)

So one of the ideas I have in the works now is to come up with a method of
divvying up money based on in-game factors, so that given a supply of
money it can be divided among players of a game based on what happens
inside the game. It seems to be proven now that it is very reasonable and
reproducable long-term to be able to make money grow at rates
approximating one percent per day. Thus for example if ten players all
"put up" ten dollars as deposit to play a game, the resulting one hundred
dollars of capital can very reasonably and reproducibly be expected to be
able to grow by one dollar per day, resulting in and average of
approximately one dollar per day available for divvying up among the
players without reducing the capital thus allowing the players to receive
their entire deposit back at the end of the game over and above any
earnings accrued by play. I am thinking that maybe by building upon that
kind of idea it might be possible over many years to build up quite a
massive capital base with which to provide finance that will enable more
and more players to be lured into playing any games that are incorporated
into such a system.

The biggest problem now is various governmental interferences that try to
control how players, games, and money interact and seek to help prevent
such things as "problem gambling" ("problem players"?)

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/