[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Game Design: put up or shut up

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Game Design: put up or shut up
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:38:46 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I am, however, disappointed that you are squandering your talents IMO.
> I do think it's time to put up or shut up about major game design
> changes.  What's gonna change?

I think that maybe my ideas might also be heading toward massively
multiplayer types of games. Because trying to incorporate all games inside
all other games in some vast conglomeration of games will doubtless end up
needing vast numbers of players.

Here is another example I have in mind. There are some nice little
battle-mech games out there where you play a mercanary controlling a
handful of battle-mechs and pilots of battle-mechs. In the ones I have
played the game pretends there are empires of some sort that are hiring
you for missions. But those empires are not real, in the sense that there
is no game in which players are playing those empires.

Even while FreeCiv remains a single-planet game it might hypothetically be
possible that, for example, when you reach Alpha Centuri you might find it
occupied by the battle-mech mercenaries civilisation, and they migh offer
to hire out to you some units of battle-mechs... Then you as a FreeCiv
player could get some interventions by the extraterrestrials and the
extraterrestrials could fight nice little battlemech scenarios that
actually have an effect in an existing game instead of being a standalone
game...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/