[Freeciv-Dev] single vs. multiplayer

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] single vs. multiplayer
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:05:01 -0800

From: Mark Metson [mailto:markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

> [tile problems snipped]
>
> Part of why I can't play
> public games on the pubserver: it takes way too long to do each turn,
> those guys dont have enough patience they seem to be looking
> for a hand eye co-ordination game not a strategic game.

It wouldn't surprise me.  I can't even fathom playing Freeciv "in full
scope" in 2..3 hours.  My single player games certainly haven't gotten
anywhere in 2..3 hours.  Usually by 3 hours, I've only established
whether I'm bored / quitting or not.

I will eventually look at Freeciv's multiplayer, but I'll be amazed if I
find it preferrable to single player, or even in the same ballpark of
game.  In my own project, if game design stuff breaks multiplayer, I
won't hesitate.  I have no idea how dependent the network stuff is on
game design stuff.  And I think "I want to build cool Bigpox
civilizations" is a single player impulse.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.