[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: (PR#6932) Re: Re: Artistic polish

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: (PR#6932) Re: Re: Artistic polish
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:25:31 -0800

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:49:29AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > So rather than risk your own neck, you would rather risk someone else's?
> > > How nice.
> > >
> > > Please realize that these copyright violations are ignored by the game's
> > > publisher only because it only benefits them to do so. The moment it
> > > starts benefitting a competitor, expect them to go after whoever hosts
> > > these files - whether they aid us knowingly or not.
> >
> > You misunderstood me. I was thinking about graphics from 3rd parties
> > which are ok to use privately.
> >
> > I also haven't said that freeciv.org should host these files. We may
> > if the author is accepting this and we are sure that the author
> > doesn't violate himself.
>
> But Vasco's (and my) point is exactly that we can't know that the author
> doesn't violate himself, because the mod communities do not take these
> things (copyright) very seriously. We had several examples of this with
> civ2 mods where the 'author' claimed as wholly his something that was
> merely a derived work or included entire pieces of the original game art.

I think that we can write on freeciv.org:

  To use the civ3-graphics feature you need a civ3 tileset. You may
  search one via google. You may also use the graphics from modpack
  foobar (http://..../). It is tested with freeciv and the license
  allows personal use.

  NOTE however that the modpack may violate the copyright. You are
  responsible here when you download and use it.

At least this is my layman opinion.

> The only things that are really safe is art that has been made for
> us from scratch - such as the trident tileset.

If it comes to a real case I think it would be quite messy if some of
the maintainers claimed to have created graphics from scratch but
copied it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Using only the operating-system that came with your computer is just