[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: (PR#6932) Re: Re: Artistic polish

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: (PR#6932) Re: Re: Artistic polish
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:49:29 -0800

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > So rather than risk your own neck, you would rather risk someone else's?
> > How nice.
> >
> > Please realize that these copyright violations are ignored by the game's
> > publisher only because it only benefits them to do so. The moment it
> > starts benefitting a competitor, expect them to go after whoever hosts
> > these files - whether they aid us knowingly or not.
>
> You misunderstood me. I was thinking about graphics from 3rd parties
> which are ok to use privately.
>
> I also haven't said that freeciv.org should host these files. We may
> if the author is accepting this and we are sure that the author
> doesn't violate himself.

But Vasco's (and my) point is exactly that we can't know that the author
doesn't violate himself, because the mod communities do not take these
things (copyright) very seriously. We had several examples of this with
civ2 mods where the 'author' claimed as wholly his something that was
merely a derived work or included entire pieces of the original game art.

The only things that are really safe is art that has been made for us from
scratch - such as the trident tileset.

  - Per