[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: (PR#6932) Re: Re: Artistic polish

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: (PR#6932) Re: Re: Artistic polish
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:08:06 -0800

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:19:38PM -0800, thomas@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I requested animation graphics from the civfanatics civ
>  forum,
> >got about 60 views and no replies. The guy who made custom gfx for their
> >latest "Game of the Month"'s declined to contribute because of
> >anticipated time consumption. In another thread, that crowd seem to
> >think that Freeciv sucks, partic
> larly because of lacking AI
> >diplomacy. They probably favor Win32 and single-player style games.
> >We should accomodate such people by creating a real smallpox
> >solution, native win32 client, and adding code to support animation.

> rule editors and gfx convertors would get us further along the
> way. The main issue however is getting the message across. Apart
> from some newsposts at Apolyton and some linuxgames sites. Apart
> from that, Freeciv h rdly gets promoted.

IMHO we should just add support code for the civ3 format. We can use
the available graphics for private use. Then we can ask the authors if
they want to put the graphics into GPL and so let their tileset become
the "offical freeciv" one. This way the author has no extra work and
just have to say "yes". If noone says yes we just can't distribute the
graphics in the tarball. But if we support a "~/.freeciv/tilesets" dir
were you put the tileset once this isn't a problem either.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to