Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6585) Delta version 5

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6585) Delta version 5
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:54:58 -0800

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > Following the style guide would go a long way to make it readable, I
> > think.
>
> On what do you think here?

For example the standard comment header before function definitions. For
those of us not used to reading python code, that would help a great deal
alone.

As I said earlier, the style guide should apply to the python script as
far as it makes sense. So eg "x=y" should be "x = y" due to whitespace
rules.

> > > So a bitvector function doesn't follow the usual lowercase function
> > > names. We need to convert floats to 4 byte integer values. And
> > > worklists and raw memory have a generic function name but different
> > > arguments.
> >
> > We should consider altering higher-level codea little to make lower-level
> > code simpler.
>
> Can you be more specific?

Such as renaming the bitvector function to lowercase, for example. I am
just offering a general idea here. It is you who know the python script. I
am barely able to read it.

> I think that the ability to turn fields off is not needed.

So what if we remove a field from a packet?

> I think you misunderstood the issue with default values. I wrote in my
> first posting that the generator will not support default values. The
> generator however supports pre-send and post-receive hooks. Default
> values can be implemented with these hooks.

Ok. I still think it is not necessary. We can implement different values
in client/packhand.c and friends with capabilities, it does not need to be
crammed into the delta code.

  - Per