Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts after playing C&C Generals

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts after playing C&C Generals
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:45:11 +0100

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:48:57AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> I've been playing a bit Command and Conquer Generals (with Zero Hour
> expansion) lately. Finally an RTS game that can rival Starcraft :)
>
> I think we can learn a few lessons from it. I'll go through the good
> stuff.

You forgot that mass-unitmovement is better in C&C than it is in the
current freeciv. (war client)

> You can choose between three 'nations' just like in Starcraft, which are
> rather different in play style, available options and tactics. Then you
> can choose between three different 'generals' for each nation, which give
> you different build options (some things cheaper and available earlier
> or not at all) and bonuses/drawbacks.

It would be a hard task to even the nations out, but i think it's not
that big problem.

> In game, both units and players gain experience. Units use experience to
> gain veterancy levels and players gain general's promotions. These
> promotions give you access to special features and upgrades, like cloaking
> units, making infantry appear anywhere on the map, carpet bombing anywhere
> on map, giving you resources for enemies killed, etc.. Most of these
> features are time-limited, in that once you have used it, a timer counts
> down to the next time you can use it.

Experience for units is a great idea.

> Each 'nation' has one superweapon, available by building the superweapon
> building. It is an uncounterable attack of massive proportions that can be
> used anywhere on the map. It is on the end of the game's 'tech tree'. Once
> used it counts down five minutes before it is available again. It can only
> be stopped by destroying the superweapon building before it is launched. I
> started out hating the superweapon concept, but I now think the concept is
> quite nice - it is a nice box opener to use on players that just build
> defences and turtle. There is a game option to limit the maximum number of
> superweapons to one per player, and this is a must.

The superweapon should have a super drawback. I think the nuclear winter
for the nuke isn't hard enough. Perhaps a big chance for civil war.

> There are lots of units to choose from, but no superfluous or useless
> units. They all have weaknesses and are therefore counterable. There is no
> strategy for which there is no viable counterstrategy. Attacking with a
> mixture of different kinds of units is therefore almost always a good
> idea.

In the endgame the units from freeciv are good mixed too. But because
the techtree there are situations where you have "too" good units.

> In conclusion, I think that the idea of gaining experience is a good
> feature that will reward action and good players, and also help protect
> such players against ganging, since their units will become better from
> the action (if they survive). Rafal has said he will implement this, which
> is good. I don't quite see how Freeciv could have a player experience
> (general's promotions) system, though. I think choosing your nation in
> pregame is vital for Freeciv once you have rulesets where nations have
> rules differences, and I do not think anyone will miss the multicontroller
> feature if we remove it.

I think observing from players is useful. But i never used the multiple
controler feature.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.