Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians
From: Morgan Jones <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:07:16 +1300

On 19/10/2003, you wrote:

> There really should be almost no coordination between barbarian
> units, with the possible exception of a leader and one bodyguard.

Not sure I agree with this.  In my interpretation barbarians in civ
represent hordes of invaders such as the Sea Peoples at the end of the
Mediterranean Bronze Age, or the one of the numerous Indo-Iranian or
Turk/Mongol pastoral nomads.

The latter peoples can be considered the most lethal fighting force in
pre-firearms history and that's down to their mobility and
coordination..

Personally I'd like to see barbarians more powerful (even though I'd
get slaughtered).  At least powerful enough so that when a major
invasion occurs, an alliance of players would be necessary to hold
them back.

But that's probably just me.

     -Morgan