Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:38:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Morgan Jones wrote:
> Not sure I agree with this.In my interpretation barbarians in civ
> represent hordes of invaders such as the Sea Peoples at the end of the
> Mediterranean Bronze Age, or the one of the numerous Indo-Iranian or
> Turk/Mongol pastoral nomads.
>
> The latter peoples can be considered the most lethal fighting force in
> pre-firearms history and that's down to their mobility and
> coordination..
>
> Personally I'd like to see barbarians more powerful (even though I'd
> get slaughtered).At least powerful enough so that when a major
> invasion occurs, an alliance of players would be necessary to hold
> them back.
>
> But that's probably just me.

While what you say may be historically correct, that is singularly
impractical in game terms. The game is supposed to be fun. It is not a
history simulation.

That said, not all barbarians were well-coordinated, either.
Viking-raiders, vandals and goths were pathic and primitive by the
standards of their day. Only the relative weakness of their victims
allowed them to gain the importance that they did.

  - Per