[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5672) Changing production categories when having t

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5672) Changing production categories when having to much shields
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 03:32:27 -0700

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 03:17:40AM -0700, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:52:03AM -0700, Thomas Strub wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:41:38PM -0700, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > > I don't think that the current behaviour is a bug.
> >
> > As jason said earlier only when changing in categories.
> > I think building a 600er wonder with caravans, than switching to a 200er
> > and than having 449 shields which can be used for units or improvements
> > is a bug.
>
> Why?
>
> Why is the current model 'putting parts of the shields on a bank account' a
> bug?

The current model is ok, but it has a bug in the implementation.

> As you say, it is perfectly allowed wo switch from one wonder to another.
> Why should the exceeding shields be penalized?

Because all shields should be handled equal.

> > Or stocking 1000 shields for a "settler" not building it and then
> > switching to a wonder (by using the warrior trick) without the penalty
> > is a bug.
>
> This is a very rare extremum. Once you've researched trade, there are better
> ways to build wonders in a sudden.

The extremum shows how this bug works. When its a bug with 1000 shields
its a bug for 10 shields too.

> > When you get the shields unpenalized with a trick and not without the
> > trick it must be a bug.
> >
> > a)
> > Building settler (1000 stock)
> > changing to magellan (500 shields)
> >
> > b)
> > Building settler (1000 stock)
> > changing to warrior (1000 stock)
> > next round warrior build (990 stock)
> > building magellan from worklist (990 stock) + 1 warrior
> >
> > Why is b) not a bug?

Why is b) not a bug?

> - Ever managed to heap 1000 shields to stock building a settler in a size 1
>   city?

200 shields + is very common.

> - A more realistic example is building a tank, then switching to a rifleman.
>   The shield difference then is 80 to 40. Note, that warriors obsolete very
>   early. - Or, building a collosseum, and switching to a harbour. There are
>   not so many shields usually that can be taken over to the next item.

Ok you build a tank, have 70 shields and then switch to a rifle, you
need 40 shields for the riflemen and after that you have

a rifle
30 shields left from tank-production
~5 shields production from the last round

What should happen to the 30 shields from the tankproduction when you:
a) build another unit
b) switch to an improvement or a wonder

> Can we agree, at least, that we're talking of a rule change, not a bug?

I think we are speaking about 2 different things.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.