[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4416) Re: building multiple units in a city

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4416) Re: building multiple units in a city
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:38:15 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:03:06PM -0700, Genevieve Gracian wrote:
>>
>>>Well, maybe the fact that this is possible is a bug (at least it
>>>seems to me that carrying prod points to the next turn after an
>>>item completion isn't possible in civ2)
>>
>>I think the current solution is a bug, because you can switch from
>>unit/wonder/improvement to another group without losing points. I think
>>it should be saved for which group the shields were produced, and when
>>changing to something from another group the shields should be halved.
>

> I thought you lost half your shields once you changed production group
> (unit/wonder/improvement). You don't? If not, then this is a bug, I think.

Shields carried over after the completion of the current production are
not lost.

The basic idea is correct: if you finish building your warriors and you
have 1 shield left over, that shield should be usable for either units
or buildings.  Since it was never actually "spent" on a unit, and you
never got the chance to tell what it should be spent on, if you change
to a building in the next turn you should be able to keep it.  This
works fine so long as it's less than one turn's worth of shields being
spent in this way.

The problem is that if the production is held up for other reasons
(settlers in a city of size 1) you can end up with way more production.
  This is clearly bad.

The best solution IMO would be to limit penalty-free carryover to just
the shields produced on the last turn - all others are subject to
penalty.  This probably wouldn't be too difficult to code.

> It could be implemented using the worklist. Eg: If you have 40 shields and
> 3 warriors (only) in the worklist, you will get 3 warriors and then 10
> shields left over.

So you can build multiple items in a turn only if they're separate
entries in the worklist?  Seems reasonable.

jason