[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#977) Extended connect dialog

Cc: vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#977) Extended connect dialog
From: "Daniel L Speyer" <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:37:38 -0700

Christian Knoke wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:03:06PM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>

>>Quit: I was, to say the least, quite surprised to find multiple stale
>>civservers running on by machine after testing. It seems that Quitting out
>>of the client doesn't kill the civserver. It should. The only time that the
>>server shouldn't be killed is by using "Disconnect from Game". Also remove
>>the popup in favor of a append_output_window()
>>

>I guess it doesn't kill the server when you quit by closing the window.

Yes it does.

>There is still the - more general - problem with crashes: stale civservers,
>no logs if the server crashes.

True, only a server-side solution can address that (-quitidle or
similar).  I considered that, but I found that if the client crashed, it
was nice to be able to reconnect to the server and pick up my game.
Admittedly, this is helpful for those who know how to do that, and
clutters those who don't, but ti doesn't happen often, and stale
civservers aren't dangerous.

--Daniel