[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4632) Re: (PR#5394) Connect Dialog updated

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4632) Re: (PR#5394) Connect Dialog updated
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:04:33 -0700

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 03:10:44PM -0700, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> Christian Knoke wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:56:53PM -0700, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> >

> >>I've brought the game starting patch in line with the current cvs and
> >>fixed a minor UI bug.

> >GTK1 tested only.

Thank you for your fixes, I will test asap.

> >After 'disconnect' in a running game you have a stale (unused, unaccessible)
> >civserver process.
> >

> What would you expect it to do?  You can access by connecting.  I do
> this in rare occasions.

This patch is about making life easier for players. I'm damn sure this will
give confusion. There are several occasions where you get stale civservers
(also after a crash). Either local or network clients will connect the wrong
one. IMHO stale civservers should be killed cleanly, in the same way I can
do with # killall civserver.

> >When you 'start new game' again, there is no help at all.
> >

> Huh?
>
> >Server Opts initial: wtowerevision shows no numbers
> >

> Huh?

Both happened to me with a bit playing around. Maybe I can reproduce.

> >For 'save', the savegame name generation isn't used.
> >

> Would you really want it to be?  I save games with intelligable names,
> and ones that autosave *won't* overwrite.
>
> >'load' doesn't try to append '.gz' to filename
> >

> We're getting the name from a load file dialog, the user probably
> double-clicked -- we shouldn't mess with the name we're given.

accepted.

> >reporting to the metaserver blocks the client
> >

> Huh?

You can see this when the connection is blocked (like it is here). You're
unable to move units for some seconds.

> >You can 'Join network game' and accidentally connect to a stale civserver.
> >You then can only start the game by typing /start.
> >

> What else should it do?  This seems natural to me.

See above.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke          * * *          http://www.cknoke.de
* Please note new mail address - Neue Mailadresse beachten *