[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#717) WISHLIST: Goto cursor shows movecost

To: sigra@xxxxxxx, stepan@xxxxxxxx, Brett.Albertson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#717) WISHLIST: Goto cursor shows movecost
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:48:41 -0700

--- Gregory Berkolaiko
<Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got a revolutionary idea: stuff the graphics,
> they are crap anyway,
> getting obscured by city names etc.  Display the
> turns and MP remaining in
> the box on the left, instead of the rather useless
> message "Select destination".

That sounds even better, especially for MP remaining.
(I suggested a single graphic for fractions so only
one new one would be required.)

Two other concerns for the goto: since units seem to
automatically enter difficult terrain when they start
with full MP, numbers can 'jump' and not represent the
true arrival time.  One possible solution would to
take away the random element and instead allow
negative movement points, so a 1-move unit will climb
a mountain on its first attempt, but not be able to
move for a couple turns.  (Or is this a feature, so
that for example tanks and riflemen move through
mountain ranges at the same speed?)

Also, where measuring gotos would be most useful is
with aircraft, but using goto on them doesn't seem to
show the movecost at all.  If this is too difficult,
perhaps a message similar to "destination unreachable"
could be used if you try to goto someplace you can't
land and will run out of MP.  If you wanted to get
really fancy, showing just before you would move out
of range of any friendly cities/airbases would be a
nice touch (but I certainly wouldn't put a high
priority on that feature.)

++JohnWheeler