[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4594) topology fix for goto route packet

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4594) topology fix for goto route packet
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:46:15 -0700

rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Jason Short wrote:
>>[rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Jul 29 03:04:06 2003]:

>>The old clients don't send (-1,-1), they send (map.xsize,map.ysize).
>
> Go look again.  This was the cause of the original bug report ...
>
> There are no special cases or need for special cases today except (-1,-1)
> that I am aware of, and not likely to be a lot of others, but they can be
> handled in the same way as this should be.
>
> Note, (255, 255) as uint8 is a bug in the special case handling that needs
> to be fixed. Conversion of the special case to and from a network packet
> transmission format needs to preserve the special case.
>
> And please quit making these false or (self-)contradictory statements :-).

You may wish to double-check your background before you make statements
like this.

>>You still haven't answered Baumans' (and my) argument.  If (-1,-1) and
>>(map.xsize,map.ysize) are valid, real positions, how is the server
>>supposed to know when it receives this position if it is intended as the
>>special case or as a real position?
>
> Please (re)read the postings more carefully ...

To rely on the client to separate the special case from all the other
real-but-not-normal cases discards all ability for debugging.  If the
client actually does send any real-but-not-normal coordinates then you
are guaranteed to have a bug (since (-1,-1) is also
real-but-not-normal), and guaranteed to not be able to find it (since it
will be treated as the special case and will generate no obvious error).

This is the argument which I have seen no satisfactory answer for.  Yet
obviously you think you have answered it, so we are at an impasse, again.

Your counter-argument is that it is bad to force the client to have the
same definition of "normal" as the server.  I agree in principle, but I
don't see that this outweighs the argument above.  And since client and
server must already agree that (-1,-1) is not normal this argument is
lessened.

jason