Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4468) long term questions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4468) long term questions
From: Daniel Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:08:29 +0000

Horn Gábor wrote:
In duels/teams there r not much different "general strategies", in 90
percent everybody does rep->nav->magn (->elect->steel in teams), so the
key is who reaches it earlier. After contact it's about prod domination
an war tactics. W/ unbalanced islands it's normal to get magn 6-8 turns
earlier than the other (which also means more prod because of the faster
expansion). If main islands r not extremely far (we usually play duels
on 50x50 maps), and the first player sends out 3-4 fregattes w/ 3-4
horsemen, he can get 5-6 of the enemies city w/o any real trouble. At
this point difference in prod will be more than 50 percent, one of the
player will have 4-5 cities on enemy's main, who lost his cities on the
front. So the game is 95 percent decided, and the victim had no really
chance. The players expanded/explored for 1-1.5 hours, and the game got
decided in 5 minutes. Not a big fun for the players :)

I realize this isn't really what you're looking for, but this is the sort of thing I designed the historical ruleset to avoid. In historical, coastal defenses come shortly before Frigates, so you can defend your most important cities. Admittedly, this is expensive, but you don't need to protect *every* city, since your opponent will be reluctant to sacrifice frigates.

In the default ruleset, there are several technologies (magnetism, gunpowder, steam engine) which give extraordinary tactical power for a small technological advantage. With this sort of magnification effect, an extreme standard of fairness is required. I think they're all removed in historical, so that might be a better choice for duels.

Just a Suggestion,
--Daniel Speyer