Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2053) Cient can see all units in a stack

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2053) Cient can see all units in a stack
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:35:23 -0700

[glip - Mon Apr 28 12:09:35 2003]:

> Sending only "top" leads to all sorts of problems.  The root of all
> evil
> is that the units move into a tile (to form a stack) one by one and
> each
> of these movements is sent to the client.  So an intelligent client
> will
> just keep an account of what moved in and what moved out and ignore
> the
> "top unit" info.  The only case when this wouldn't work is when your
> unit
> uncovers a tile which _already_ contains a stack.  This special casing
> will make situation very difficult and lead to many bugs (when we
> dealt
> with enemy cities we created about 3 other bugs and stacks is more
> complicated).
>
> Thus Thomas' proposal is the best:
>
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Thomas Strub wrote:
> >
> > I think a player should see all selfmovingunits in a stack. For
> > Transports only that they are full or not. But think its clear that
> you
> > see the musketeers + the artillery and not only a part of the army
> which
> > is at that spot.
>
> I also think that transported units should _not_ be shown.  You cannot
> see
> what's inside a transporter or a B-52 or a wooden horse.  But you can
> see/feel it's loaded, so a "loaded" field should be sent with a unit
> info.

Here is the easy part of the implementation.  This allows some cheating
with the current server implementation - obviously we need to fix the
server!

Stacks in cities are not sent (although the occupied flag is not always
correct), but units in transporters are sent.

The GUI may need to change a little; the dialog generally assumes the
units you're looking at are yours.  For instance the "ready all" button
may need to be desensitized sometimes.

jason