Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3589) Add nations

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3589) Add nations
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:22:37 -0700

[rfalke - Sun Mar  2 21:43:56 2003]:

> I have collected the nations from
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/nations/ and 3552.

I've updated them slightly:

- No more code changes needed.
- No changes to existing nations needed.
- Elves have their third init_tech (Seafaring) removed.

Unpack in data/nations, then apply the patch on top.  The original
flags.png will be needed for Trident.

Most original problems still apply:

> Problem 1: only support for trident. It looks like the file can just
> be copied into the isotrident dir.

No, the sizing is different.  But this should be made easier by the
changes to the tileset flag file structure.

> Problem 2: no shields support. I have no idea how this was made in the
> past. I'm for an automatic conversion. I won't do it by hand.

Indeed.

> Problem 3: the Galician flag was not usable. I used a version from the
> net.
>
> Problem 4: no flag was provided for the Cuban and Kampuchean
> ruleset. I used a version from the net.

Copyright?

> Problem 5: the Elves have init_techs="Alphabet", "Map Making", "Seafaring"

I removed Seafaring.

> Problem 6: I'm not sure if the change to MAX_NUM_NATIONS is ok. I'm
> too lazy to check now.

Fixed.

> Problem 7: we have two Catalonia flags which are similar but
> differ. Please choose one.
>
> Problem 8: we have two Croatia flags which are similar. Please choose
> one.
>
> Problem 9: the flag of the Hobbits and Elves look stupid. But it is
> also possible that these are correct (wrt fantasy literature ;) ).

Anyone with a comment?

> I have added init_techs and class to the nations. Errors for these to
> me. All other errors to the authors (which are various).

Problem 10: We also need alternate flag tags - so that an older flag can
be used if the tileset doesn't have the most up-to-date graphics.  See
the flag_alt tag.

There may also be new nations not included here.

jason