Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:04:10 -0700

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 06:35:14AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> New version newborders-20030704.patch now available at
> http://freecivac.sourceforge.net/ (newborders-semifog-20030626.patch
> should still apply on top of this). Changes:
> - "Claimed by" info (middle mouse button on map) no longer displayed for
>   city tiles.
> - "Color" column in player dialog now titled "Border".
> - Ocean tiles that have 5 adjacent land tiles (rather than 7) are now
>   claimed.
> - Cities now claim territory up to game.borders+0.5 distance (minimizes
>   rounding error, and gives smoother circles).

I'm happy with this.

There is still a inland lake problem; the attached png shows part of an
ocean but I think this applies to lakes, too. I don't worry about.

omniscient vs. semifogged:

I'm clearly for semifogged; the omnicient version allows to pinpoint a city
and its owner as soon as it is founded; set borders 1 e.g., or with a clever
code determine the positions from the border line.

Finally I want to offer a radical thought: Why does a player need to know
his own borders? Isn't it early enough to know once the tiles are visible?

If I have some dark corners in my territory, well, then it might be that I
loose that teritorry without being aware; thats my own fault. I could have
put an explorer or a phalanx somewhere, install a patrol, or else.

This would give us less information leakage and a better perceiving of the
borders. Right now some fogged enemy borders are updated, others not.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/

PNG image