Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:17:12 -0700

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:43:55PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > Why?
> >
> > Player 1 can always choose to attack or retreat. Player 2 doesn't have
> > this choice.
>
> I don't understand why player 2 doesn't have this choice.

Suppose we have two units from two players with full moves which see
each other. Than the player which moves first has an advantage: he can
decide if attack or retreat. The other player doesn't have this choice
because either the unit attacked or is gone.

> > > This wouldn't be much harder to implement. It is a slight paradigm shift
> > > from the way things are now, but I like the idea. It is more consistent.
> >
> > I think it is quite hard. Just think about a consistent save
> > game.
>
> Be patient with me. I am not following you here. Why is getting a
> consistent save difficult?

Difficult may be the wrong word. You have to add at least a sub-turn
variable. You may also call it current_player or similar.

> > Also the game will be more slow since the other players can't do
> > anything except reading reports and planning actions.
>
> This is a good point.
>
> But what if we do this instead:
>
> 1) player 1 moves
> 2) new turn for player 1
> 3) player 2 moves
> 4) new turn for player 2
>
> It might seem a bit odd at first, but this is more like how it is played
> at the moment than what you suggested :-)
>
> Also this way players can fiddle around with their new acquisitions for X
> phases, where X is no. players in the game.

So this means that there is no full seperation but only the unit
movement is seperated and that the players can change all the other
settings all the time?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "On the eigth day, God started debugging"