Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:43:28 -0700

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:26:28PM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > I don't understand why player 2 doesn't have this choice.
> >
> > Suppose we have two units from two players with full moves which see
> > each other. Than the player which moves first has an advantage: he can
> > decide if attack or retreat. The other player doesn't have this choice
> > because either the unit attacked or is gone.
>
> Yes, but why do you think that player 1 is always the player who moves
> first?

One model was that the move order is constant. Another model was that
the move order is random for each turn. See the start of this thread.

> In other words, if this happens after player 2 has finished his
> unit's move, he has an advantage because he can issue a goto command for the
> unit. Player 1 wouldn't have this chance.
>
> Vice versa, player 1 can move his unit in an attack position with goto, and
> perform an surprise attack the next turn.

I have problems understand this.

> So it's unbalanced, but not necessarily unfair. Usually you play with more
> than two players. Then the turn order has an - interesting - influence on

> game tactics or even dipomatic strategy. I'd call it a feature ;-)

I agree.

> What advantage will this give?
> Are you saying the server variables need to be frozen?
>
> Why do you want this seperation?

This was Per's suggestion and he will answer this.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to