Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] transported_by

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] transported_by
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:30:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > Also it should test punit->transported_by so that you can't attack
> > > planes which are on a carrier.
> >
> > No, no, no. punit->transported_by is not reliable.
>
> Then should the code be changed that it is reliable.

I believe that to be a bigger project than layers. In any case, the two
should be kept separate.

In order to clean up the concept of transportation, I think we will need
to separate the 'sentry' mode from the act of 'loading' a transport.
Ideally, a player should have to press a 'load transport' button (or move
the unit into the transport) in order to make it 'transported_by'.

This way there will be no confusion about what units on a tile are doing.

Check out the transport code in the server, it is really messy.

  - Per