[Freeciv-Dev] [RFC] Client goto information
[Top] [All Lists]
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index] [Thread Index]
With the proposed patch (PR#4242) the situation will look like this:
- the client code will find a path
- this path is shown at the client
- the user choose a goal
- the path to the is set to the server (this include only the
necessary data to execute the path correctly)
- the path is forgotten at the client
- the server sends the goal back as goto_dest_[xy]
The problem here is that after the last point the client only knows
the goal of the path. It is not possible to show the path or auxiliary
information about the path (turn for each position for example).
These are the solutions I can think of:
1) Don't forget the path at the client. Keep it in memory. Here you
have a persistent problem: if the client is restarted the path is
2) Send the information to the server and include it in the
savegame. Disadvantages here are: more traffic, this is really data
which isn't processed by the server.
3) Send the information to the server as attributes. Disadvantages
here are: more traffic.
4) Just use GA ;)
5) Don't support this new feature and leave the situation like it is
"We just typed make..."
-- Stephen Lambrigh, Director of Server Product Marketing at Informix,
about porting their Database to Linux
- [Freeciv-Dev] [RFC] Client goto information,
Raimar Falke <=