Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 06:25:23 -0700

On Thu, 1 May 2003, James wrote:
> Also, it is now possible to see the veteran status of units for isotrident.
> I added Roman numerals to the isotrident tiles.png file and updated the
> tiles.spec file appropriately.
> If this is fine then I can ammend the trident graphics also.

Yes, it is fine. I think I would like it in the lower left corner, though,
since there it isn't so hidden by the unit's flag. Please add it to
trident as well.

> Veteran status for enemy units is not displayed.

I think it should be. It is fun, gives the enemy more variety and flavour.

Note that the client is sent this information anyway...

> Also doing this gave me an idea, what about the possibility of allowing a
> player to see other players' units veteran status if he/she has an embasy
> with that player?

I'd like to keep it simple.

As to the patch:

You have some spurious changes in the patch. Please read through the
diff before you send it (deletes configure.in, adds configure.old, adds
data/nation/Makefile.am...).

You do a lot of this:
   if (strlen(game.rgame.veteran_name[punit->veteran]) == 0) {

But why? I see no reason to do that. You also don't include <string.h> in
files where you add these calls to strlen.

You haven't added a mandatory capability. This is needed. Add it to the
list in common/capstr.c

We're almost there now :-)

  - Per