Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch

To: james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4044) Revised multiple veteran patch
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:54:15 -0700

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 08:30:58AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> ./server/ruleset.c
> +    freelog(LOG_FATAL, "In the [veteran_system] section of the %s file,\n"
> +              "veteran_names has %i values, but requires that between 1 "
> +              "and %i be specified.", filename, num_veteran_levels_found,
> +              MAX_VET_LEVELS);
> +    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
>
> Use die() here instead. It combines the two functions above. Same for all
> similar cases in this file.

No. From die:

  Exit because of a fatal error after printing a message about it.  This
  should only be called for code errors - user errors (like not being able
         ^^^^               ^^^^^^^^^^^
  to find a tileset) should just exit rather than dumping core.

This is a user error.

> Finally, there is the question of displaying veteran status. I hope
> Raimar's mapdecorations patch can solve this. I don't think we need to
> wait for it, though. It can be fixed afterwards.

It _could_ be used for this but this isn't the main target. The main
target is the map and the tiles here. So you would have to update the
map deco very time the unit moves. It is better to make a new sprite
for this (maybe also at runtime by doing a draw_string).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "There are three ways to get something done. Do it yourself, hire someone