Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4182) Icons

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4182) Icons
From: "a-l@xxxxxxx" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:04:22 -0700

"Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2003, James wrote:
> > Also, it is now possible to see the veteran status of units for isotrident.
> > I added Roman numerals to the isotrident tiles.png file and updated the
> > tiles.spec file appropriately.
> > If this is fine then I can ammend the trident graphics also.
>
> Yes, it is fine. I think I would like it in the lower left corner, though,
> since there it isn't so hidden by the unit's flag. Please add it to
> trident as well.

The lower left / upper left corner is the last available space in the
game. Maybe the rent should go up? :)

In the "war client" I tried to utilize every last pixel for useful
information without messing up the overall screen look. I found that:

-- For trident_shields, the battlegroup belonging number (1-9 in
non-Roman) can go in lower left.

-- For trident, it can go in upper left, because lower left conflicts
with the hitpoints bar.

-- Fortunately, trident tileset is very consistently designed. Very few
units have problems with putting an icon in that corner. Isotrident
works out nicely too.

-- Putting the BG number in the middle right looks rather crammed. So
it seems roman veteran numbers and BG numbers will conflict if both
are desired.

-- I could fit a relatively small dot in the middle right, to indicate
that the unit carries a Mission order (PR#3530).

-- In the case of settlers and caravans, I could put a big nice 'B'
in the lower left to indicate the intention to 'build', instead of
the dot, since non-military units cannot be members of battlegroups.

-- For veteran status I only used a 'V' in the lower right corner. The
top of the 'V' is visible "behind" the stacking cross.

-- I have a circular thing to indicate a bodyguard relationship, also
in that corner. In fact, I drew it so that 3 icons are discrenable at
the same time: bodyguard circle, V, and stacking cross.

Now with veteran numbers, that's not possible. It's easy to code
rules. The stacking cross clearly needs priority on the map if
something else goes there too. The other icons could appear in the
sidebar, and in the stack popup. And maybe it looks crammed if more
than one icon is visible in the same position.

So maybe Freeciv should decide:
-- How much information should be displayed, and where.
-- What to display on top.
-- Whether it should be configurable.

Arnstein