Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: difficulty levels

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: difficulty levels
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:21:13 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > I'm not sure if adding a "very easy" level is the best solution. It is
> > quite possible that the player doesn't understand all of the interface
> > or all of the game logic. So there should for example messages like
> > "Warning: The marketplace in Foo will not yield a benefit with the
> > current city settings." or "You have researched Foo. You can now
> > upgrade your Bar to Xyz." This can also be done in a hints file which
> > lists randomly such tips.
>
> That would be the _best_ solution, yes. However, I don't see any

Mmmh, how about just writing an exhaustive strategy guide?  Although I
don't see any volunteers for that either ;)

Anyway there is a big difference between understanding the game rules and
beating (even easy) AI.  And hints and tips are not going to help the
latter much.  What will help is the progressive difficulty levels and this
is the purpose of the "novice" level.  It is a relatively clean
implementation, can be reused and is rumoured to be very effective.

Another thing, if you look at why it is so hard (esp. for a novice) to
fight AI, you will realise that it's because AI is mental.  It's a psycho.
I sends streams of suicide squads to your cities and sooner or later it'll
get them unless you know how to stop it.  Here, diplomacy is the answer.
Which underlines the importance of Per's project and reminds me of my
sins.

> volunteers for this (enormous) task, so I suggest we use the solutions
> available now. A 'novice' skill level will help in that players can
> gradually learn the game without always losing badly, which some people,
> for some reason, don't find very fun.

I agree with Mike, we should write a short synopsis of features of AI
levels.

G.