Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3886) City description

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3886) City description
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 02:39:00 -0700

Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 06:19:21PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>How so?  The suggestion is that cities cannot be built on the north or
>>south pole.  I would generalize this to say cities cannot be built on
>>any tile that is adjacent to an unreal tile.
>

> This is a kludge to the game rules just to get easier code. Since
> there is no real reason my answer is no.

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by "easier code", but...

The full list of alternatives (that I can think of) is:

1. Don't allow cities on the poles.

2.  Always have an extra bottom row.

3.  Show this text above the city rather than below.

4.  Sometimes have an extra bottom row, if we find a city there.

Frankly, I think the current broken behavior is better than any of these.

#1 is a kludge to the game rules, and makes for harder/uglier code.

#2 is a kludge to the interface, and makes it worse 99% or more of the time.

#3 is also a kludge to the interface, and would be hard to code as well.

#4 is the only true alternative (to the current brokenness), but is not
worth the extra code it would require IMO.

jason