Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3735) Zulu (Shaka) gets a free capital when Catala

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3735) Zulu (Shaka) gets a free capital when Catalan (Jefe) conquers its capital
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 02:28:06 -0800

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:16:29AM -0800, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:58:33AM -0800, Guest wrote:
> > [glip - Tue Apr  1 18:46:21 2003]:
> > > >

> > > AFAIK the "always free palace" happens only if
> > > 1. savepalace is enabled
> > > 2. the nation is not able to build palace themselves (i.e. doesn't have
> > > the required tech)
>
> I was thinking savepalace=1 means you always get a new palace if the capital
> is lost.
>
> Help also says so:
>
> Option: savepalace  -  Rebuild palace if capital is conquered
>   If this is set to 1 when the capital is conquered, palace is automatically
>   rebuilt for free in another randomly choosed city, regardless on the
>   knowledge of Masonry.

It's a help for newbies .. and i really dislike that it is default at 1
on pubserver.

> So I take this that you always have a city w/ palace.

No, only that you get a new when you have a city and you lost the palace
because you lost your capital.

> But consider these:
>
> 1) I recently started a game and lost all my cities very soon. My explorer
> then discovered a city in a hut, so my nation continued to exist - without
> a palace.

Nice story.

> 2) When you sell your palace you do not get a new one, which is probably
> ok. But what happens when your palace is sold due to lack of Gold?

I know no ruleset where a palace needs upkeep ...

> And an unrelated question, just comes to mind: what is the use of a palace
> in a democracy? There is no corruption anyway, but if you don't have a
> capital, it cannot be conquered ;) What am I missing?

You can't build a spaceship without capital.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want learn fast