[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3450) square_iterate and unreal positions

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3450) square_iterate and unreal positions
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:00:52 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 12:08:37AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>For some reason square_iterate calls CHECK_MAP_POS on its center tile.
>>This is a problem since it only shows up in debug mode and is not
>>obvious to the programmer.  And I really don't know why it does that (I
>>wrote the code for it, some time ago).
>>
>>This CHECK_MAP_POS should probably be removed.
>

> Why? It is a check which tests if the args given to square_iterate are
> valid. We have the same checks in other functions/macros likesame_pos.

I should mention the other advantages of this macro (I suppose I took
them for granted; sorry):

- Not all rectangles are squares.
- Not all rectangles that are squares have an odd diameter
(square_iterate can only handle odd-diameter squares).

These are themselves reason enough to include a macro like this.  Ross
has been pushing block_iterate for a while now, and if he'd ever
provided a patch I'm sure it would have been applied (I prefer the name
rectangle_iterate; opinions welcome).  In the patch I provided, I have a
new user already (for a 3x1 rectangle).

jason