[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3024) Crash when starting a 2nd game with client

To: rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3024) Crash when starting a 2nd game with client
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 02:25:45 -0500

Kenn Munro wrote:
On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 06:07, Jason Short via RT wrote:

That was with unpatched Feb 1 cvs.  I also tried with Feb 7 cvs.  It
took many tries, and the error only occurred once.  With Feb 7 cvs, it
was dialogs.c:2048 instead of 2064.

Ahh: the same line that valgrind reported an invalid read on. I speculate that most of the time this error is harmless, but on your system it results in an invalid read.

I wonder if it is coincidence that the nation dialog has character encoding problems under red hat 8? Can you reproduce this with any nation?

[...]

Coincidence.

More likely it has something to do with the sound code (e_nation_selected is a sound event). What sound plugin are you using?

No sound:
2: No real audio plugin present, Proceeding with sound support disabled
2: For sound support, install either esound or SDL_mixer
2: Esound: http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html
2: SDL_mixer: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html

I'll let you know if I can figure out how to reproduce the error.

Hmm, then I guess this is also ruled out. Yet the inconsistency of the warnings I get from ESD does seem very odd.

> I'll let you know if I can figure out how to reproduce the error.

Can you reproduce it with CVS from Jan. 27th?

jason