[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3024) Crash when starting a 2nd game with client

To: rt.freeciv.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3024) Crash when starting a 2nd game with client
From: Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Feb 2003 02:00:02 -0500

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 06:07, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> Guest via RT wrote:
> > I played a game and died early on.  After death, I press End Turn twice
> > until it was greyed out.  I quit civserver and started a new game,
> > leaving the civclient running.  I reconnected the client, chose my
> > nation, and when I pressed ok, I got a segmentation fault.  It occurred
> > right after the e_nation_selected message:
> >
> I can't seem to reproduce this on my debian unstable machine (even when
> I set my character encoding to UTF-8).
>
> dialogs.c:2064 doesn't seem to be the applicable line.  Are you using an
> unpatched, up-to-date CVS-version client?
That was with unpatched Feb 1 cvs.  I also tried with Feb 7 cvs.  It
took many tries, and the error only occurred once.  With Feb 7 cvs, it
was dialogs.c:2048 instead of 2064.

> I wonder if it is coincidence that the nation dialog has character
> encoding problems under red hat 8?  Can you reproduce this with any nation?
The latest time, I was the Chileans the first game.. can't remember what
nation I picked when starting the second game (I always use the random
nation that is chosen).  I loaded the autosave from the turn before I
died, and was not able to produce the error when I connected to the
second civserver (tried with various nations).

> More likely it has something to do with the sound code
> (e_nation_selected is a sound event).  What sound plugin are you using?

No sound:
2: No real audio plugin present, Proceeding with sound support disabled
2: For sound support, install either esound or SDL_mixer
2: Esound: http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html
2: SDL_mixer: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html

I'll let you know if I can figure out how to reproduce the error.

Kenn