Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2922) Re: (PR#2924) OK. the reorg patch has a bug.

To: esr@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2922) Re: (PR#2924) OK. the reorg patch has a bug. Help from a client expert?
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:33:41 -0800

esr@xxxxxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
> Jason Short via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>The file graphics/isotrident/terrain1/tx.village.png is incorrect.
>>Looking at isotrident/terrain1 I don't see how this output could have
>>been reached.  But the end result is that tx.village for isotrident
>>seems to have copied that of trident.
>

> I looked in the isotrident and trident tile arrays.  The village icons
> in these look identical to me. Is it possible that you might have been
> misled by the visual resemblence, or is it me that's being blind?

The graphics are identical, but the isotrident on is in a 64x32 area
whilee the trident one is 30x30.  So the end result should be quite
different.

But in your tileset this isn't the case - both end up as 18x20 sprites.

>>There is a one-pixel boundary between grid elements if is_pixel_border
>>is set.  For instance in tilespec.c:
>>
>>      x1 = x_top_left + column * dx + (is_pixel_border ? column : 0);
>>      y1 = y_top_left + row * dy + (is_pixel_border ? row : 0);
>>
>>Perhaps you are not taking this into account?
>

> Um.  I don't think I messed this up.  But maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Remember that the sprite loader is not looking into a tile array any
> more; the 0, 0 corner of the image is the 0, 0 corner of the sprite.
> In the new system, is_pixel_border is always zero.
>
> You know what it looks like to me?  It looks like the drawing routines
> think the size of every sprite is the base size of the tileset.  So
> the full-width/full-depth tiles in the terrain set look OK, but the
> small ones get tucked into the upper-left-hand corner of a rectangle
> of the tileset's base size centered on the correct location.

They certainly do assume that.  But that's okay, because it's true - in
the original tilesets, but not in yours.

The fact that they assume this is generally bad.  But changing this
isn't as easy as one might think.  We're working on it...

jason