Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2748) 3 mapgen patches now through rt (sorry about

To: kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2748) 3 mapgen patches now through rt (sorry about that) --- 1 of 3
From: "kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:12:07 -0800

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > Or we can (finally) dispense with T_RIVER, which is nothing but grassland
> > > with an S_RIVER with the added complication that you cannot transform it
> > > in civ1, IIRC.
> >
> > I seem to remember river flowing through a forest, at least in civ2.
> > Davide, where art thou?
> >
> > Also I know a few rivers that flow through desert.
>
> That's because we now use S_RIVER instead of T_RIVER. Only the civ1
> ruleset now generates T_RIVER.

In civ 1 rivers really were a terrain type different from others.  For
that sort of reason it makes a certain amount of sense to use T_RIVER for
the civ 1 ruleset (and if we ever really have a generalized enough mapgen
to just read terrains out of the ruleset then there is no extra cost).
Maybe for the time being though its too much of a nuisance and getting rid
of T_RIVER is better, I don't know.

Guessing when the river variable is a count and when it isn't strikes me
as quite a mess.  I think my favorite solution would be to change the
river variable to be between 0 and 100 like all the others.  This way when
rivers are a terrain they really are just like the others.  I didn't do
this because it would mean taking a good look at the river code which is
so long that I got lazy.