[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2505) Game end messages not translated

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2505) Game end messages not translated
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:14:38 -0800

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:33:56AM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 10:15, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
>
> > Hey, what are you talking about? Sorry, but I don't understand.
> > I've never heard of a crash due to translation / i18n. Of course
> > we all want to have client side translation (I hope). What is wrong
> > with a
> >
> >      notify_conn(&game.est_connections,
> >          _("Game ended in victory for %s"), victor->name);
> >
> > What is so special with this part, that you don't want to translate it?
> > Please explain, I'm learning.
> >
> > At least these are the last texts that are not translated AFAICS.
> > And they require nearly no effort to fix.
>
> I'm no expert on this, but...

Thank you for the explanation. I'm very interested in a real solution
for the i18n problems. But I think you've missed the point:

You are talking about translation problems in general.

I'm talking about a small bug (and an easy fix).

And because of my mistake in cvs usage I'm wrong: These messages
only appear in HEAD, not in BETA.

And I still don't see the point not to translate them.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/